pfSense and FreeNAS

After fighting with getting pfSense to play nicely with Proxmox, I decided to look at a couple of things I would like to add to my mix. I wondering if anyone has looked at putting FreeNAS into my proxmox machine or should I just put it into is own server? On the other hand considering that I don’t need all the bells and whistles, maybe just use OpenMediaVault and call it a day/

I just acquired a Dell PowerEdge T410 with dual Xeon 6 core CPUs so I thought I would make use of the machine. But no need to overwhelm the machine with the weight of FreeNAS.

Hi K.!

My apologies for the delay. Things have been busy here at work with COVID-19. I had to travel for work for a week of night shift command center shifts and it’s been all hands on deck ever since!

It can certainly be done, ServeTheHome even did an article on it. In my opinion though, deploying essential core services all onto one machine is asking for trouble, as it creates a central point of failure. (This is why I am also not a fan of putting pfSense on Proxmox; glad to hear you got it working though!)

Barring certain HA configurations, it’s the equivalent of having both your medics share the same foxhole! :wink:

If you’re concerned that you’re going to overwhelm your machine with both Proxmox and FreeNAS on it, I don’t think you need to be concerned about it.

Let me know what you end up doing and keep me in the loop. Always willing to be proven wrong if it means I learn something from it!

-TorqueWrench

After thinking things through, since I am trying for a minimalist approach, I have decided to forget about trying to do FreeNAS and just use something lighter like OpenMediaVault or some along those lines.

1 Like