Naming Forums & security

Hi guys, is there a specific reason why you name this forums.engineerworkshop.com & not forum (without S)? I’m looking to host a forum on my blog. I’d love to hear some pointers or tips on reducing spam for example if you like to share some. Many thanks again!

Van! You’re back!

The honest reason I picked “forums” instead of “forum” for the subdomain? Mainly because of forums.unraid.net. I liked the way it sounded.

Have you picked out a forum provider yet? I remember researching the different forum providers out there. I picked incorrectly initially and quickly switched over to Discourse (what this forum currently runs on). I highly recommend it.

Whatever you end up going with, take a look at their release notes (especially the timestamps). You want your forum provider to have an active, thriving development community. It takes a long time to get a good forum community going (I know, I’m still trying to get there), you don’t want to be stuck on a stagnant, dying platform.

Your choice in forum platform will decide what spam countermeasures you have available to you. Many are Akismet-based (including with Discourse).

You should share your blog!

-TorqueWrench

1 Like

Always great to hear from you! Thanks a lot for the pointers, I was looking at NodeBB—as per load/resources required it seems lighter than Discourse. My other intent is to serve some ads on the forum for an income source. I’ve been playing around with my lil 8-mth-old gardening blog (zenyrgarden.com) if you’d like a look, I’d be so glad. It’s happily using a piece of your code on the Tags page. :yum:just migrated from Casper theme yesterday. Turns out some Ghost themes don’t play too well with some e-commerce styles & functions (like Snipcart).

1 Like

You have a great blog there. I’m envious that you live in a place where you can grow things like dragon fruit. The next place I live, I want to be able to grow citrus.

When you do get your forum up and running, you should post weekly updates of your garden.

Are you self-hosting? NodeBB was the forum I went with first before switching to Discourse. It’s good, but when I compared it to the pace of development for Discourse, I had to go with Discourse. I think your servers will be able to handle it. I haven’t noticed any appreciable load difference on my server since switching. (And hopefully I haven’t crushed your enthusiasm for NodeBB; it’s a perfectly good forum platform).

-TorqueWrench

1 Like

I appreciate it @TorqueWrench. :pray:Those are great valid points. I’m using https://cloudron.io. hosted on a server from netcup. Really torn between these 2 forum choices, Btw, how do you handle images that users upload to the forum?

greetings from saigon :+1: hope you find something useful

Discourse handles them for you. I just checked cloudron.io and it looks like they have a Discourse set up. Go with Discourse. You won’t regret it. It also integrates really nicely with Ghost (and really any site).

Also, check back in more often than every few months! :wink: I like hearing about other people’s projects.

-TorqueWrench

1 Like

Will do,:+1::+1::+1: this forum has been very helpful.

Hey, it’s up at forums.zenyrgarden.com I went with Discourse, it was so easy to set up. Haven’t done much touch-ups yet. Thought I’d leave you a note to say thanks! I’m very happy.

1 Like