Introducing The Engineer's Workshop Newsletter

Welcome to the Newsletter

Hi everyone,

I get a lot of messages from you asking about what I’ve been up to and looking forward to new content on the blog. I put a lot of work into my blog posts and unfortunately, due to competing priorities, I don’t have as much time as I would like to dedicate to writing new posts.

But, I understand your enthusiasm and I very much appreciate it. It seems many of you are also eager to learn something new as often as you can. So in that spirit, I’ve decided to implement something new beginning this week: this newsletter.

What You Can Look Forward To

Curated Content- Articles You Can Learn From

Every week, I will publish a list of articles I have read (and would recommend) as well as a tl;dr with some quick takeaways to help you decide if you want to also invest the time in reading them.

In keeping with the theme of this blog/forum, this will tend to be STEM content, but I may also include content that I think will be more generally useful to you. Additional content categories may include career/education advice, personal finance, time management, self-improvement, etc.

My goal is for you to be the best engineer/student/programmer/person you can be and, while technical ability is a necessary condition for being a good engineer, it is by no means sufficient if you don’t have the other parts of the package. Besides, maintaining good personal finance means you can spend more on electronic components and servers! :laughing:

Project Updates and Upcoming Project Designs

I will be striving to keep progress updates in the forum on projects I have in-flight. The projects that you are used to seeing on the blog are full how-to guides for people that want to make the project and just get it built-and-done.

But my goal has always been to actually teach something along the way so that you can learn why and how it works. This allows you to more easily adapt the project for your own specific uses. After all, anyone can just copy and paste some code and connect some wires up, so I always include the electrical/programming theory behind the project as well. This means the blog posts can get quite lengthy as they are.

Unfortunately, this can also give readers the impression that I’m infallible and that I designed the project perfectly from the beginning and nothing ever went wrong. Even more unfortunately, a lot of people that do tutorials and pretend to be gurus (i.e. everyone on Twitter), maintain this persona which I think is detrimental for new learners. It’s far too easy for readers to internalize this and develop an inferiority complex simply because something went wrong for them.

So, my goal in keeping these more timely project updates is to document the progress of the project in real-time, just like in an engineer or lab notebook. This will allow me to also document any difficulties that I ran into while developing the project in a way that I could never hope to capture in the blog.

Even more importantly, it will allow readers to see my thought process as I designed the project and how I overcame any obstacles found while developing it.

What I’m Studying This Week

I make a goal to learn something new continuously. These newsletter updates will include my study plans for the week. Far too often 90% of the battle is figuring out which resources to use. I will also include those in case you want to mirror my study and follow along with me.

Weekly Flight Plan and Wrap-Up

Every week, I file my own personal “flight plan” with my goals for the week. I’ll toss this in there for anyone interested.

More Frequent Updates

The whole point of these newsletter and forum posts will be to quickly update you on what I’ve been working on without the additional editorial burden that goes into a full blog post. With that in mind, my goal is to publish the newsletter once a week (though that might get a little dicey right now around the holidays!).

Feedback

I’m looking forward to this new chapter in the site.

Is there anything else you would like to see in the newsletter? Please let me know what you think of it!

-TorqueWrench