Configuring VLANs on Proxmox- An Introductory Guide

A virtualization server allows you to run multiple machines, virtual machines (VMs), on one physical device, also known as the host. In a commercial production system, these virtualization servers will often run similar VMs, but for us with homelabs, there could be many different VMs each for different tasks. One VM could be for development work, another could be handling HEVC encodes to save valuable storage, others might be hosting an NGINX reverse proxy and web servers. In this guide, we will discuss configuring your Proxmox virtualization server to use VLANs so that you can group related VMs onto their own subnet.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://engineerworkshop.com/blog/configuring-vlans-on-proxmox-an-introductory-guide/

Would you just add all the VLAN ids on that one line in the interfaces file? And how is the syntax for it? spaces or comas between the VLAN IDs?

Thanks for your time, Very nice article by the way.

Hi @nexusguy59,

Thank you for the kind remarks. If you want to add a range of VLAN IDs (meaning they’re contiguous) you can simply add them to the bridge-vids parameter with the range. i.e.: bridge-vids 10-20 will cover VLAN IDs 10, 11, 12, 13, …, 20.

If, instead you wish to add specific, non-contiguous VLAN IDs, you can simply list them out, separated by a space. i.e. bridge-vids 10 20.

-TorqueWrench

Hello,
I created 4 vlans and i have 4 vms each in a different network , i don’t have any switch yet so i suppose they will not be able to communicate , I want to ask if it’s possible to use ovs and connect the vms ( for example allow communication between 2 vms in the same vlan ) , i’m new to proxmox so i don’t know how to do that using ovs only on the virtual plateform ( aka no physical devices)

Hi Meriem,

Sure thing. The whole purpose of Open vSwitch (OVS) is to be a drop-in software replacement of an L3 switch (or even just your basic L2 switch). If you’re not familiar with the term, an “L3 switch” just means that it’s a switch that can do routing (i.e. it can route network traffic between VLANs/networks) and an L2 switch is just your basic dumb, unmanaged switch (i.e. connects devices on the same network).

Out of curiosity, what model did you use for your network device? VirtIO? If so, that device does theoretically offer some paravirtualization, it may allow two VMs on the same VLAN to communicate with each other directly. I’d be interested in knowing if you can get one to ping the other.

I’ll respond to your other post, Vlans in proxmox, how to link my VMs?, later when I have time.